Lost Tudor sculptures recreated using 3D scanner
|3D scan of 3rd Duke's monument, Framlingham [Credit: University of Leicester]|
The elaborate tombs were planned by Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk – one for himself, and another for Henry VIII’s illegitimate son, Henry Fitzroy, Duke of Richmond.
The tombs were not complete when the priory was dissolved in 1540. Some parts of the monuments were salvaged and later finished off in a different style and with different materials, in St Michael's Church, Framlingham, Suffolk.
|Duke of Richmond's monument, Framlingham [Credit: University of Leicester]|
The researchers have now brought together all these pieces, and used drawings in 16th century manuscripts, 3D laser scanning and 3D prints to recreate the monuments as they were originally intended.
The project is one of the exciting results of research by the “Representing Re-Formation” project team, funded by a major grant from the Science and Heritage Programme (AHRC and EPSRC).
The project is a remarkable collaborative venture involving researchers at the University of Leicester’s Space Research Centre, the Department of the History of Art and Film, School of Museum Studies and the Department of Computer Science.
|Baluster shaft excavated in 1935 [Credit: University of Leicester]|
Dr Phillip Lindley, of the University of Leicester’s Department of the History of Art and Film, said: "Our exhibition studies the catastrophic effects of the Dissolution of Thetford Priory and of Henry VIII's attempted destruction of Thomas Howard, third duke of Norfolk, on the ducal tomb-monuments at Thetford.
“Parts of two unfinished monuments were salvaged in 1540 and later moved to St Michael's, Framlingham, Suffolk: other pieces were abandoned in the ruined priory, only to be excavated in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
|Thetford Priory, ruins, English Heritage [Credit: University of Leicester]|
“Using 3D laser scanning and 3D prints, we have - virtually - dismantled the monuments at Framlingham and recombined them with the parts left at Thetford in 1540, to try to reconstruct the monuments as they were first intended, in a mixture of the virtual and the real.
“We are delighted to work with the curator of the Ancient House Museum, Oliver Bone, and his staff. The museum is a few hundred yards from the priory site where the tomb-monuments were first carved nearly five hundred years ago.
“The Ancient House is itself a Tudor building and it is a surprising thought that the original sculptors probably walked past the very building in which we are now exhibiting their work."
Source: University of Leicester [September 06, 2013]